Tuesday, June 5, 2007

I am who I am

That is what God told Moses (exodus 3:14)……..and I think it sums it up. That word am has to be one of the most important in the English language. You might argue that “is” and “are” are equally important. I disagree. Is is not personal. It is how someone else introduces you. Are is how you talk about someone else. Am is how you describe yourself. Obviously God did not feel the need to finish the sentence because He is everything. Everything good at least.
I am also a lot of things……although my resume is not as all inclusive as God’s but I am…… a lot of things. A mother, a wife, a child, a teacher, a friend, a sister, an aunt…you get the idea. Most of those are easy to say because they don’t require any desire. I was born, making me a child. I got married making me a wife. I get paid to be a teacher. Don’t get the wrong idea – they all take skill and work….but these are easy ones to admit and accept. There are some damaging I ams out there that I have learned to avoid. There are other I ams that are sort of wishful. Hopeful. Hesitant to come right out and say. I read Bird by Bird and decided that I wanted to be a writer. Notice I said I want to be…….not I am . Technically I am typing here. Using complete sentence ( well sometimes). I am writing……..but does that make me a writer? Of course. But that doesn’t roll off the tongue or pen so easily because it makes too many assumptions. I don’t assume to be good at this. I don’t assume that any one will ever pay me for it. I don’t want to say I am………and allow confidence in this hope or pleasure. I dabble. I blog. I read. Can I just be an amateur writer? I don’t think the word am goes too well with disclaimers. I run, but I see those skinny people in spandex at the gym or in races and think they are the runners and I well……..I am just barely keeping up. I think I have to be good at it to call myself that. Thankfully – the I am a Christian part doesn’t try and follow those same rules. I would look around at church and say those women, the ones with ironed shirts and memorized verses -those are the Christians. I don’t quite have it together….so I must just be pretending. Thankfully, it doesn’t really work that way. I am because of what I believe. I am because I want to be. So on that note, I am a runner, a soccer player, a good joke teller, a photographer and maybe just maybe even a writer.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Michelle, that is fantastic! Thanks for posting first!

One thing I thought of as I was reading was maybe being a "writer" should fall into the same group as "doctor" and "lawyer." People from those two professions are identified as "practicing medicine" or "practicing law." I'm not sure either profession is allowed to omit that word "practicing" because mistakes are always occurring; people treated by doctors don't live forever, and people who sue don't always win. So, maybe we, the FWWG, can call ourselves writers because we are "practicing writing." That somehow feels less daunting.

TJ Wilson said...

I like the "practicing writer" title. Am I a practicing writer even if I'm hardly writing?! Do great ideas count??
Great thoughts, Michelle.